Tuesday, February 14

Happy Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day.

I am getting better! Yesterday was such a productive day, I cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned, did laundry, shopped, had lunch with one of Paul’s students who graduated last year and all the while I listened to a book on tape. I must confess that books on tape or CD are an addiction. I have this brain that just keeps going and going and I get bored so easily if I am not working all parts of my brain at the same time. I get bored doing just one thing and I often start things and stop them if I am not stimulating my brain properly. I can’t clean without NPR, Family Life, or a book on the stereo, I can’t knit, crochet or sew without a movie on the TV, and I can’t exercise, walk or even travel without music, or talk radio. If I can’t have one of those things with me while I am working I have to talk to myself, or find some kind of a brain puzzle (the alphabet backwards and every other letter or something) to keep all areas of my brain busy. But then, when it comes to studying, reading, math, anything like that I can not have any distractions as it is too much for me to handle. Strange. I worked on a Suduko puzzle yesterday that took me a long time and I had to have all music off, lights off accept for the one that I was using and nothing in sight that would cause me to need to get up and take care of it…like dishes.

I was listening to Boston U’s NPR station today and they had an interview with some authors about out generation and their patterns of getting married later in life – veering away from the patterns of our parents. I was thinking about it and it is so true. I was married young, I am just now approaching the typical marrying age for my generation and as I catch up with people that I have not seen since high school, I see how abnormal my life really is. So many women my age are working on their career, maybe in a relationship, maybe not, and it makes me feel old. Granted, I don’t have children, Paul and I still live a rather adventurous life of traveling and small adventures with friends and things, graduate school, concerts, weekends away, etc. We have actually started a new record by living in one spot together for more than 364 days! (Who knew it would be Gaylord?) Divorce is such a big thing for our parent’s generation and the opinion of these authors I was listening too is that it has helped in developing a sort of complex for the 20something people of our generation. We now have “starter marriages” and marriage “just doesn’t mean what it used to”. With the options of internet dating, people now have all different avenues for dating and don’t see the need to Not be playing the field and as a result put off long term commitment. What do you think?

1 comment:

serina said...

It's interesting to compare my life experiences to those with whom I grew up. Some married and children around the same times as I, but many waited (or are still waiting). I wouldn't change my choices even if I could, but I do wonder how my life would be different if I hadn't married at 20 and had Maya at 23. I remember researching the term "sequencing" in college--planning work and family in blocks in order to devote time to both. My sequencing is different to many women today: I wanted to have children first, then further education/career later. I'm totally satisfied with this choice, as I'll be barely 40 when Maya flies the nest. That seems so young to me. And I sense that I'll know myself better then, the field in which I get my PhD will be something I'm relatively sure I want to study. Hm.