Saturday, March 11

Quick Update

Sorry, I have no computer right now as it is sick and at the Dr.’s. I am using Paul’s computer at work and it is hard to find a time when I can use the internet (only one person at a time can use the internet in this building).


It is spring. Even if we get more snow, it is spring. I have bulbs poking out of the ground and the snow has melted a foot in the past week. We have even had rain! I am excited as I love spring, I love getting into the yard and working in the dirt.


I had a dilemma with getting a transcript from WMU to send to DHS in order to complete my “file” so that I can be accepted for an interview. But all is well now and I got the transcript in just under the time line. I am also adding a fourth job to my list this spring as I am going to be subbing for someone at a day care from our church. I went this Wednesday to get the hang of things and get some paperwork. So, I now have four jobs and a possible one in the wings…how crazy am I?


Last night Paul and I had a breakfast feast for dinner. We had whole grain pancakes, hash browns, scrambled eggs and milk. Yummy. I am becoming a breakfast snob; I can’t go out anymore unless it is a gourmet breakfast place. If they don’t serve crepes, I won’t even consider it (if I have the choice).


Baptism. This is an issue that Paul and I have been talking about recently in context if weather we are going to have our infants baptized or not. The issue was brought up in our bible study on Wednesday night in the book of Mark when John the Baptist preached a gospel of repentance in baptism. We do not believe in infant baptism, but our church does and the majority of our family does. So we have been talking and it has spurred on some great conversations. We believe in a believers baptism, and desire a dedication for our child as an infant, however we do not want to cause waves in our family culture as we want family to support and attend both ceremonies and treat them as significant and wonderful things. I know that I am not the only person who has thought about this and or struggled through this issue. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

J said...

So you're getting ready for baby issues?! Great!!! :)
I don't know if you are asking about biblical support and naught for infant baptism, or a way to deal with the isues with your family. I'm going to go for the first, since I don't really know the answer the to the second-but I know you guys will handle it beautifully.
I recently stood beside my friend's baby as a chosen Godmother. Each Godparent received a little flyer commemerating the day this infant was "welcomed into the family of God." (This denomination believes if you are baptized as an infant, you're in.) Well, I was looking at the Scripture on the back of this very flyer, and it reads,"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved." I read that as a total non-support of infant baptism, ironic. I read it as that, because it clearly states, BELIEVES AND is baptized. How can an infant believe? Jesus is who we are to follow, as He bids, "Come and follow me," was not baptized as an infant. If we look to his life, he was dedicated by his parents at the temple and then baptized in his 30's of His own choice.
With your families, that's hard. But we are to love and follow and listen to Jesus above our parents. I'm thinking of the scripture that talks about, anyone who does not hate their mother, father and brother, cannot be my disciple. If you find that the Word says something against what your parent's direction and will is, we must choose to follow Jesus.

serina said...

Jason read _The Water That Divides_ by Donald Bridge (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0877847878/) and recommends it. It's on my to-read list. We have not had our children baptized nor dedicated, as we've been praying and thinking about it for three years. We're leaning more towards baptism at this point, but for the first two years or so of Maya's life, we leaned the other way. God's working, and maybe we'll make a decision before Maya goes to college...

Anonymous said...

Oooh, hot topic Lisa!! I started writing a whole comment and it got ridiculously long, so I'll write it on my blog instead when I get home tonight. :o) Check there tomorrow!