Wednesday, October 18

Wednesday

I have had a jam packed week. This has been my first week where I have worked alone here at school without my internship mentor. It has been good for me as it has thrown me into the situations that intimidate me most. I have to do what I have to do to get the job done. On the other hand it has really made me feel - lonely. Starting a new job can feel that way and since I don't have a 'supervisor' it makes it really hard to get to know people. God is doing so much through this experience. I am so thankful and I see why he wanted me here- I love my internship. I never thought that I would say that, but I do. I love this work. I have had to work on my assertiveness a lot these past couple days - something that has worn down from being out of practice since I haven't been in the field for a few years. It is frustrating, exhilarating and tiring all at the same time. Today while I was eating lunch I was thinking about how I felt when I started my first job as a foster care worker and how overwhelming it was and how long it took me to build real relationships with co-workers and to really know the ins and outs of my job. I feel that way now. I feel overwhelmed with a lot of the details but I love working with the students - LOVE IT. Sigh. Sometimes they are so great they make my insides hurt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet Lisa! I know exactly what you mean when you say the kids make your insides hurt. Just the other day a teenage girl came to clinic, and she comes once/month, but I hadn't seen her in 3 months because of vacations. Anyway, she walks in, sees me, gets this huge grin and gives the longest hug. I almost cried, it was so sweet. It made me realize that what I do really matters to these kids. I'm glad you feel that way about your work, what a blessing that is.

Paul said...

I Love you and am proud of you...you are awesome...you make me happy.