Wednesday, December 6

Skills Lesson Last week

The Scene: Sitting in the teachers chair in front of one of my favorite kindergarten classes. I am reading a book about tatteling and reporting - the difference between the two and leading discussion. I am still trying to figure out what is appropriate for this age group as the age range is anywhere from 4-6 years old.

  • Lisa: A report is something that a teacher or an adult NEEDS to know because someone is in danger or hurt...
  • Derek: Like my uncle (garbled talking) the blood (more undeciferable talking) down his leg....
  • (Meanwhile, the entire room is silently listening to Derek...no one moved a finger his entire monologue.)
  • Lisa:.....so...(slight silence that felt like an hour but was only a second while I try to decide how to respond).... he was hurt and that is called a report.
  • Derek: Yes.
  • Lisa: Great thinking Derek. (now addressing the class) Now a tattle is somthing that a teacher or an adult does NOT need to know.
  • Derek: Yeah- my aunt, uncle, cousin, mom, dad, sister, borther..(undeciferable chatter for 10 or more seconds)...sigh
  • Silence in classroom while I try to figure out what to say to this-the entire class is still sitting silently listening to Derek speak.
  • Small unidentified voice from the back of the room: What about your grandma and Grandpa?
  • Derek: Oh Yeah!..(more chatter that I can't understand that goes on for another minute or so.)
  • Mrs. Block = laughing inside and wondering at what point I am going to lose the class completly due to my inability to hold myself together from laughter.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

what's the name of that book my kindergardeners need to hear it!

serina said...

Kids are so funny. Especially at that age, when group dynamics and awareness are totally random. It helps sometimes, because they're honest (even in groups). But as you discovered, some kids have no screening abilities.