Tuesday, January 16

Lost

Last night Paul and I rented season 2 of Lost. We were watching a story about a married couple in their 50’s. Bernard, the husband, proposed to his wife, Rose when they were approximately 56 years old – in the midst of his proposal, Rose told Bernard that she is dying and has a year to live. Bernard said he didn’t care and that he wanted to marry her anyway and so they got married, went on their honeymoon, Bernard tried taking Rose to a faith healer, Rose got mad because she has made peace with what is happening to her and Bernard has not, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, this story got me to thinking: If Paul had asked me to marry him and I knew that I was dying – at the age of 22, would I have still said yes? I think about the idea that I would rather have had Paul move on, have a life with children and a healthy family – without the financial burden or the extreme loss of losing your spouse – which now, in hind sight – would have been so much more painful then losing your girlfriend – fiancée or friend – of course at the time I had no idea how much marriage would deepen my feelings or our relationship. In the end, regardless of what it is that I would say to a proposal if I knew I was dying – I am pretty sure that Paul and I would have gotten married anyway – Paul is (and was) persistent in his feelings for me and our future together – I don’t think he would have let me say “no”.

P.S. Do not tell us anything that happens in the current season - we are all worked up over last season and I am not sure we could handle the information!

No comments: