Friday, February 23

Lent


A number of things have been on my mind in reference to Lent. I am currently doing a study in my quiet times about Lent and this week I have had the topic of SCORN on my mind with the connection that Jesus was scorned on the cross. I have been thinking a lot about what would have happened if Jesus HAD responded to the SCORN and saved himself from a humiliating and painful death full of grief and betrayal. What does this say about our God.


As far as giving something up for Lent...I am not one to give things up traditionally - I find it to be strange that you would only give things up for a small amount of time - why not work on permanently giving things up that you don't want to be consuming you. Plus - people always give up things that they shouldn't have anyway - it may be hard...but it just seems strange. So, this year I have been throwing around the idea of giving something up - something real...not like candy or something. After thinking about all the things in life that I would give up like Internet, cable, cell phone, etc. were already given up this fall after our account number was stolen. So I dug deeper and came up with TIME. I am going to give of my time in a new way. This is going to be a challenge considering the demands on my time are completely different starting this week, but so far I have been blessed. I come into school and I spend time in a dimly lit office and I read an online devotional and read O. Chambers: My Utmost For His Highest.


Today I had a challenging day. I felt like crying for the most part - it wasn't all that bad - I was just having a hard time handling it. I believe the stress was something that I wasn't expecting and the fact that I was hit with it all just overwhelmed me. I have class tomorrow so I won't really be able to relax - I am looking forward to Sunday. It is days like this that I see and feel how much I need Jesus and I remind myself that I am supposed to be here and that I can do this with Him - and ONLY with Him.

No comments: