Monday, September 11

September 11

I woke up this morning and as I laid in bed I thought about what I was doing on September 11 2001. I was in Lansing because I had just graduated that summer and started a job with Bethany. As a future Foster Care worker I had to go through three months of state training through the DHS. I was in down town lansing at the DHS headquarters sitting in training when my training person got a call on her cell phone. She allowed us to go on break and then turned on the tv in the classroom...after our break we were forced to turn off the tv and where told that the building, since it was a government building, was locked down and no one could leave or get in. Sigh. Finally after a long and confusing day where none of us learned anything, I went back to my hotel and turned on the TV. I called my dad because I was frightened and wanted to know what all of this meant...war? What kind of war? I also have a cousin who worked at the pentagon at the time. I then called Paul ( who I was engaged too) and he had heard from his sister Angela who was living in NY at the time. With everything and everyone accounted for and safe, we watched it on the tv together for the rest of the night. Where were you?

5 comments:

Andrea said...

ha...I was with Paul becasue I didn't want to be alone and none of you all were home:)

Paul said...

I don't remember that. But that is funny.

Anonymous said...

I was in my computer class lab with my instructor who was from the middle east somewhere...as soon as he found out he let us leave...poor guy.

serina said...

I was in the IVCF West Michigan area office (basement of the Wesley Foundation) where I was working for Jason & Andrea. But I was alone that day, and I listened to the radio account of it all happening, all morning. Finally, at lunch, Jason came in (the boss, not the husband) and said I should just go home and be with my family (which at that time consisted of Jason--the husband--and Hannah, our housemate).

When I got home in the afternoon, I saw the images on TV for the first time. It was shocking to see after hearing about it for hours.

Amanda said...

I had just my first day as a temporary receptionist at Kalamazoo Community Mental Health. I wasn't able to hear much on the radio all that day, but saw it all on television when I got home. I remember going to a prayer service at Kanley Chapel that evening.