Wednesday, November 1

HB 5616

I am working alone today as my mentor here at my internship is sick. I have liked working solo as it forces me into a role that I enjoy. I take more ownership over my work and I really, really like this work! Anyway. I facilitated sessions in three kindergarten and first grade classrooms today called skills lessons. They touch on things such as listening, following school rules, dealing with diversity, etc. They are short lessons – 20 minutes or so and today was about bullying (see post from October 26th 2006). November 5-11 is school safety week and we teach on bullying. I thanked God for setting last weeks ‘incident’ at such a strategic time. I read a book, we watch a video and I hear about all the ways that kids have seen bullying go on in their own lives in response to "what does bullying look like". It is with lessons like these I really feel the power of building leaders among these kids. Man, this is such a great job!

Michigan now has policy addressing bullying in schools, check out the link I attached above to read more about it. It is a good thing. To see what Granholm has to say about this topic, click here.

No comments: