Thursday, March 8

Elementary School Fuzzies

In the past two days I have been down about this whole "I am not graduating". The worst part was telling Paul because this means we aren't going to be going to Cape Cod. But being the best husband in the world he is fine and supportive, etc. So I thought I might compile some of the things that have made my heart warm the past few days to remember.

  • I was sitting in a lesson in a Kindergarten classroom talking about nutrition. As I was talking a little girl put her very small five year old hand in hers and pulled it toward her nose. She inhaled deeply closing her eyes and said "you smell so good".
  • I was wearing a denim a-line skirt that has a snow flake pattern embroidered onto it. I was walking down the hall when a student (a girl) opened her eyes very wide, threw her hands up in the air above her head and shouted “I LOVE YOUR SKIRT".
  • In groups we start out using these red cubes that have faces with feelings on them. Each student gets to take a turn picking a feeling or two and talking about it. I have a kindergartner who comes into my office every Thursday and asks me if I am picking him up for group that day. After we affirm my daily plans together and go over what he things we should do in group, he goes to class. Last week I went to pick him up and his class was doing something special - I told him that he didn't have to come if he didn't want to miss the activity and he still wanted to come. We got to group and it was his turn to choose feelings. After a few moments thought he said, "I can't find how I feel on here." So I asked him to just tell us how he felt and he said. “I feel like I want all of my school time to be in Mrs. Block’s room."
  • I received a beautifully colored butterfly today that was cut out with care.
  • I received a picture of a multi colored heart and a candy cane yesterday from a great little boy.
  • Yesterday morning as I was getting ready to go, I was looking for shoes to put on with the skirt that I was wearing. I reached for these roo tennishoes that I have and it gave me a flashback to my own kindergarten days. My mom used to dress me up in dresses with tights and then throw on my velcro tennishoes. My best friend for years, Laura Koss, was in that Kindergarten class with me. She told me for years after that she always thought I was weird because I would wear tennis shoes with my dresses and skirts. I guess the Kindergartner is still in me. You want to look cute, and play hard.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

These are great thoughts. I'm sorry to hear about the stinky situation with your class...we should talk soon!