Friday, March 16

Thursday Night Project

Last night it was a project of mine to wrap a gift for my friend Andrea Marlow. Now normally I would get a gift bag, pop the gift in with some tissue paper - the thing is I couldn't find a gift bag the right size so I was stuck with wrapping the gift in paper. I got a roll, brought it home and begane to wrap. Now since I was taping the paper to a UPS box I had to use heavy duty tape - so I went and got the strongest tape I could find, Duct tape. As I stood there with it in my hand getting ready to wrap I couldn't figure out a way to hide the duct tape - So i had to go and find clear moving tape (we have many rolls from the two years that we moved three times). Then I begin to wrap. As I am wrapping I realize that I can't cover the whole box with one piece of wrapping paper I am going to have to use two. So I cut and I tape down every edge because I did't want it to move. I get ready to wrap the other half of the box and as I am trying to finagle the piece of paper around the other half, I realize...it isn't going to cover the box. So I go through the options in my head I can at this point:
  • Continue and see what happens.
  • Go buy MORE wrapping paper.
  • Throw the thing in a garbage bag and call it good.

The problem with option two is that I didn't have a car (we are down to one car at the moment) and In order to undo what I had done might just deform the box since I have it taped so well (good luck getting the paper off this sucker Andrea) and what I really wanted was a gift bag...but again, there wasn't one big enough at the stores I looked at. As great as garbage bags are, they don't show that I put much effort into this gift. So - I kept wrapping. The final product (I will try to post some pictures) is pathetic. There are spots with no paper, pieces of paper taped to blank spots, etc. But if you stand far away, you can't really tell how shoddy the wrapping job is . As I stood back and looked at the final project I imagined what the new babies grandparents would think...sigh...its a good thing that Andrea and Dan don't love just for my wrapping skills.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

wow that's a lot of work for a present...I don't care if it's in a garbage bag or wraped in Aluminum foil as long as you are there to deliver it:)

Amanda said...

Gee Whiz...what'd you buy them - a pony? You make me laugh!